Learn more about the vitamin that helps prevent obesity, depression, cancer, diabetes and osteoperosis.
Many Australians are deficient in Vitamin D, yet more and more studies are revealing its vital importance. This amazing vitamin helps prevent osteoporosis, depression, cancer, diabetes, obesity and is possibly the single most underrated nutrient in the world of nutrition.
Here are some facts you may not know about Vitamin D and sunlight exposure:
- Vitamin D is produced by your skin in response to exposure to ultraviolet radiation from natural sunlight.
- The healing rays of natural sunlight that generate vitamin D in your skin cannot penetrate glass. So you don’t generate vitamin D when sitting in your car or home.
- It is nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from your diet. Sunlight exposure is the only reliable way to generate vitamin D in your own body. Our bodies can produce vitamin D on their own when exposed to sunlight but the skin must be free of sunscreen, sun blocks and clothing, which all interfere with the process.
- A person would have to drink 10 tall glasses of vitamin D fortified milk each day just to get minimum levels of vitamin D into their diet.
- The farther you live from the equator, the longer the exposure you need to the sun in order to generate vitamin D. Canada, the UK, the southern half of Australia and most US states are far from the equator.
- Sufficient levels of vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption in your intestines. Without sufficient vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium.
- Chronic vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight; it takes months of vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the body’s bones and nervous system.
- Even weak sunscreens block your body’s ability to generate vitamin D by 95%. Sunscreen products can actually cause disease by creating a critical vitamin deficiency in the body.
- It is impossible to generate too much vitamin D in your body from sunlight exposure: your body will self-regulate and only generate what it needs.
- Vitamin D is activated in your body by your kidneys and liver before it can be used.
- Having kidney disease or liver damage can greatly impair your body’s ability to activate circulating vitamin D.
- Even though vitamin D is one of the most powerful healing chemicals in your body, your body makes it absolutely free. No prescription required.
Facts derived from notes by The Institute of Integrative Nutrition and adapted from “The Healing Power of Sunlight and Vitamin D: An Exclusive Interview with Dr. Michael Holick,” by Mike Adams
Jessica Ainscough (The Wellness Warrior) posted the story, “Your Safe Summer Sun Guide” which is a well written reminder about how to make the most of our sunshine with safe boundaries whilst still enhancing our creation of Vitamin D.
Are you enjoying this content? Sign up to receive my regular tips & news!